Thursday, October 6, 2011

Goodbye Kamaya

I stepped off my boat for the very last time
The home I had lived in for three years
A life where I had seen many things
That I might never see again

I watched dolphins leap from the bow
On nights when the moon disappeared
They left a trail of glittering light
Like a mirror of the stars

I swam beside a humpback whale
As she drifted through the ocean
She lifted her tail, curved her back
Plunged deep into the sea

I looked down a volcano’s mouth
At the deadly lava within
A piece of pumas spewed up high
Flying past my head

I turned and faced my sailboat
I thought of the places I’d been
Friends I'd made and islands I'd seen
Sad to watch it end

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful Maya! Who knew you're a poet too! You & the rest of the Kamayans were so blessed with this amazing 3 yr adventure. Tim & Ruth rock, big time, for going for it! I'll miss reading the blog. If possible, you should upload it to a family book for each of you to treasure the memories & photos. I'll remember fondly my visit with you all in Mexico. Ahoy for now... :) Elena (CA).

Ruth said...

Maya, I cry everytime I read your poem. We had such an amazing time on Kamaya. I am so sad she's not with us anymore. We'll have to go back to the ocean someday, hopefully sooner than later.

Looking Back

It took me more than seven years to turn our blog into a hard covered bound book. At first, I was leery of wrapping up our adventure because...